Friday, July 31, 2009

Sew, sew, sew

I've been itching to sew again. Not that I was ever much of a sewer; technically all that I have sewn have been 2 pillow cases and a few aprons (with the help of my mom), and lets not forget all those buttons and sequins to embellish my many dance recital costumes back in the day. I am still very much so a beginner.

For my birthday last month, my friend Lauren bought me
"Weekend Sewing" by Heather Ross. It is filled with fun and easy sewing projects that can be completed in a weekend...or longer if you are me. It even comes with all of the pattens, how fun is that?

I've been trying to decide which item I should make first. Which one is simple enough for me to conquer? Lauren said that I should just start at the beginning and make everything in the book...great idea! It worked out perfectly because the first pattern in the book is for the "everything bag," which I really wanted to make. It's just a simple, big tote, and the fabric for it only cost me $6.00, how can you go wrong? We'll see what happens when I embark on my first, totally solo sewing project. Maybe I'll start on it this weekend by cutting out the fabric...I don't have a sewing machine at the moment, so I can't get much further then that.

And since we're on the sewing topic, have you heard of Anna Marie Horner? She is amazing! You should check out her blog and her website. She uses such fun, vibrant colors and looking at her website just makes you happy.


Photo from Anna Marie Horner website

See, aren't you happy?
Ok, so I was happy, but I have two different fonts and blogger will not let me correct it! Technology.....

4 comments:

AMBER said...

How fun Em! I need to learn to sew... =/ We have the machine, im just so uncreative like you and Lo!

The Furtados said...

love it! I cant wait to see everything you make! Im gonna have to buy that book for myself!

Krista said...

This looks like such a fun book, and just my type. I am really not into long sewing projects... and I need to get back into sewing too. So keep posting, maybe you will inspire me. :)

Anonymous said...

Sew U is a great book to have it's fun and easy great for beginners