Friday, October 23, 2009

Recovery Time

Brian's second knee surgery was last week on October 13th, our second wedding anniversary. What a way to spend a speicial day :-) I can't complain because #1) last year we traveled throughout Asia and spent our anniversary on an amazing beach in Thailand and #2) when B told me that he rescheduled the surgery for October 13th I told him, "perfect, that's a great date for it." It wasn't until hours later that I started thinking, "why does October 13th sound familiar? I think that might be an important date..." That's when it finally dawned on me, that yes, it is an important date, it's the day we got married.

We had been so busy the weeks leading up to this surgery that we were both actualy looking forward to it. I know, weird, but it gave us an excuse to slow down a little bit. I had been getting pretty tired of eating Subway, Little Caesars (yes, I said Little Caesars, I know, gross) Vallarta, and lots of pasta...when you need dinner for multiple people fast and cheap these seemed to be our only options.

Since we are on the topic of junk food...let me just say that once you get in the habit of eating bad food it's hard to stop. I usually crave "good for you" food, but lately all I have been wanting is the "bad for you" stuff and sweets. I need to get back to a healthy diet and a workout plan!

Back to Brian's recovery time. He will have to be on crutches for the next 3 weeks and then will slowly be able to put weight on his leg. I'll be excited to have him walking again...I miss my bike riding partner!

I can't tell you how amazing he has been throughout this whole process! He hasn't complained at all and has been uber productive. By the time he will be able to surf again it will probably be February, which means he will not have surfed once in 7 to 8 months. That is huge for someone who surfs everyday! I am so proud of him and the way he has handled this little "set-back." I can't wait for him to get back in the water again...it makes me happy to see him do something he loves so much. Also, I will be able to feel guilt-free again when I go to the gym...I hardly get to the gym anymore these days, but when I do go I feel horrible because I know he is just sitting at home with his leg propped up on pillows.

Cheers to next year...may it be a year filled with lots of walking, no crutches, and being somewhere other then a surgery room on our anniversary!

3 comments:

faithsalutes said...

I had reconstructive knee surgery this last year...it takes time, a lot of time to heal...but the best part was my supportive spouse. put your patience cap on woman.

The Furtados said...

how dare you put down Little Ceasars... I could eat an entire hot 'n ready all by myself! Oh, and I'm glad Mr. B is being sweeter this time around! Poor guy...

Krista said...

Enjoy this down time together, I know you are being an awesome wife and taking good care of him! :) I will continue to pray for Brian, this cannot be easy for him. :(